Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Dressage Lesson - Feb 10 2007

I had another long stretch in January with very little riding. It was a total surprise when I had another great lesson. We spent some time talking at the beginning, which really helps me. And I had another huge breakthrough in understanding. I've been working on moving my hips - trying to relax them and let them move with Mercury instead of riding all rigid and stiff (but in one, proper position) on top of him. With my big "get out of shape" kick the past few months because of my workload, it's actually felt easier to move with him, because I'm kind of a big mass of jello sitting on top of him. And I was trying to explain that to Bob, and he realized that I didn't understand what it meant to move my hips. I was trying to melt into him, but it is actually the driving seat (which I have never understood) that is the hip moving. He stood next to me and pushed my hip waaayyyy more forward than I have ever moved, and it made Mercury take big long steps. It was pretty cool, and also felt awkward and hard to do, like all the other new things that end up being really great.
We worked on the trot and crisp transitions up to canter. I tend to lurch forward (both leaning and pushing) and so it's hard for him to pick up the canter on the step I ask for it. Now I am thinking lean back and ask quietly, and he just picks it up right away. The change, when I quit leaning and lurching, was pretty much instantaneous.
So we did that for a while, and then we worked on circles, me not looking down, riding the canter with the proper seat (hips go back and forth, everything else stays still), then some simple transitions on a figure 8. A few steps of trot, then pick up the other lead. Then we did some cantering across the diagnol, a few steps of trot along the rail, then picking up the other lead. It was fun, and it felt really good.
I have, in the last month, been feeling really comfortable and secure when Mercury canters. I didn't feel uncomfortable before, but I could tell a difference in the past few weeks. It certainly wasn't because I got in better shape or improved my training, so I asked Bob about it. He thinks it is the chiropractor. He thinks Mercury was just so out of alignment that it took several visits, and then the pieces started moving better. It really is a noticeable difference.
Bob is the course designer for the derby coming up in April at Happ's, and he suggested that we go. I'm not sure I'll be ready to jump, but in the next few lessons I'll do a jump lesson to see if we can get through Beginner Novice. I think our dressage has improved tremendously, and I hope that translates to over fences. I don't want to ride Hopeful again because I feel too old and experienced, but I'm actually not sure about 2'6".
After that great lesson, though, I went to do an easy, conditioning ride today because the sun was out. Of course after we made it once around the pasture, it started raining, and we went inside. But Mercury got all scared from being outside, and so he was a total nutcase inside and the ride was horrible. It is just like Bob says, he is just doing his best to keep me humble.

No comments: