Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Monday, April 30, 2007

Gabby lesson on April 28

I mostly wanted to talk about the show and upcoming shows during this week's lesson, so there's not much to report. Bob said about 90% of riders will come off when a horse "ejects" by jumping too high with his butt. Alice said that Kim Severson got ejected at the water jump at Rolex this year. He said that it wasn't a fluke that I did so well, but that the problems are that Mercury is green (and needs a couple years experience under his girth, so to speak), and I keep expecting him to act like he already knows it. The other thing Bob told me at the show was that I need to smile during my dressage test. I try to, but it turns into a grimace pretty quickly. Then I saw the pictures, and Bob nailed it when he said it looks like I've been sucking on a lemon. Today I rode Mercury around smiling and felt like an idiot. The smile plastered to my face made it one step easier to laugh at myself. He also said my legs are still swinging back a little over fences, and again, the pictures proved him right.
We're going to switch to alternating lessons dressage and jumping. Now I'm worried that we only did so "well" because I didn't ride Mercury. That *I* make things worse.
Also, Bob said I need to quit being so negative. That Mercury has a good heart and I am a good rider.
Oh, and Mercury probably has narcolepsy. The vet was out, and they talked about the symptoms, and the vet agreed. I read a bunch of stuff on the web, and that seemed to confirm it. I'm kind of upset about it, but not ready to type it out yet.

No comments: