Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Monday, August 13, 2007

Mercury goes back to work today!

After what feels like agonizing months (oh wait, it was) of not riding, Mercury is heading back to work today. He's got two weeks of his month in training left with Bob, because he only made it two weeks before he pulled a shoe and then hurt himself. Alice said Bob will probably lunge him the first few days to get him listening and also why fight when you don't need to (a very good point that wouldn't have occurred to me).
He had no bandage last week, but turn out, and the wound closed up completely. You can hardly tell it was there now.
Yesterday, when I turned him out, he decided to act like my great dane (Stampy, who is just over one, and who goes crazy when we get into the wide open pasture and tears around with his lips flapping).
He reared straight up about 5 times and kicked his front legs out in the air in front of him. He did a 90 degree turn in the air with all four legs off the ground. He lept over things unnecessarily. He tore around and skidded to a halt. He jumped up and down in the air. He bucked about a million times. He'd be running and a leg would shoot out behind him.
Alice said he's showing off for Zenith (one of Kim's horses), who isn't interested in him. He only does it for about 5 minutes, then he eats grass until you put him back inside. He's a bit of a doofus.
I am still hoping we can make it to the final Happ's Derby (end of September), even if we have to go down a level and ride Hopeful again. But what might be more useful is if Bob will ride him that entire show. I've got to see how the next couple weeks go, then ask Bob about it. I've been taking a summer class, so my schedule actually stays pretty booked the next couple weeks until it ends. I think if I can get back into regular riding (and who knows how far I will have backslid with over two months off and only intermittent riding before that - I am definitely very, very out of shape), then we just need next season to get him used to the showing. That's what's got me nervous though - he gets excited, and the only way to practice is to take him places that get him excited.
Stay tuned! Hopefully fascinating progress coming soon. I have "cabin fever" from not riding so long ....

No comments: