Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Sunday, November 18, 2007

First two Willig lessons - 11/17 & 18

Wow.
Wow.
Wow.
Willig is completely different to ride than any horse I have ever ridden before. His movement is huge (and it's only around 60% of how he should move, according to Bob), and it is so soft and comfortable. He is truly a ferrari compared to beetlebug Mercury.
However, because he's so far out of my league, I am once again learning how to ride again. Alice said I have to learn eventually, but today, during the second lesson, it was really frustrating. He gets bored easily, frustrated if I don't do things exactly right, and irritable about me trying the same thing over and over. All we did yesterday and today was walk and trot (after the lunge line), and today the trot just slipped further and further from my grasp.
I don't even want to relive the agony of the lesson by typing it - I just want the message that there's nowhere to go but up, and it is a big, steep hill ahead of me - to get through.
It was the same problems I have with Mercury, only going a lot faster (with bigger steps) and with far more delicate controls. I overcompensated many times.
I love Willig. He is amazing, and I am going to learn so much, and it is going to be so cool to be able to learn so much more from Bob, but I am completely humbled and awed and the task is going to be arduous.

No comments: