Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Monday, February 18, 2008

Willig and Mercury moved to a new barn

It has been a very stressful two weeks. In addition to Odin being diagnosed with DCM (a heart condition, on the other blog), two openings came available at the barn I put the boys on a waitlist for, in case Willig's hives didn't clear up. I decided to move them, which was a really hard decision to make.
We also got the blood work back from Willig's allergy and blood tests. His liver, kidney, and thyroid results were normal. And his allergies - he was tested for about 100 of the most common - were not enlightening. He was allergic to about 5 things - three pollens, none of which are out right now; a grass which doesn't grow here; and that pyrethionine stuff that is in some fly sprays, which isn't being used on him right now. And those were "positive" results, but not "highly positive." It is fantastic news that he doesn't need allergy shots and doesn't have severe problems, but leaves the question of his hives a mystery.
He is looking great though! Last Wed or Thurs - 2-3 days before he moved - he cleared up almost totally. There were just a few scattered, very small hives.
A few more came back on Saturday morning, before he moved.
He is getting used to the new barn, but he's stressed out by it. There's more horses, more going on, and he goes in and out during the day. There's also more traffic nearby. I lunged him each day he's been there - he's been walking around, and he's getting much better. He's really antsy in the cross-ties, but I think it's just because there's so much to look at. Someone was jumping on Sunday, so I turned one jump into a little lunging jump, and he did FABULOUS! He also liked having something extra to think about - he was able to focus and not look around so much.
I'm going to work with the new farrier to get his feet back in shape. I didn't notice until this week, but the farrier we were using cut his feet too short and small. I think that's why he hasn't been able to move out in the front.
Poor Mercury had abscesses in both front feet that burst last week. He got really, suddenly lame on the left front, and the next day Dr. Mike came out and started that abscess draining. Then the next day, the farrier (two weeks late) was out, and his hoof that has been without a shoe for six weeks had a HUGE abscess. It was a ton of blood and pus. So he is sans shoes on both front feet, now three weeks overdue to have his feet done, and I am soaking every day in betadine and epsom salts. They are still soft, so it is at least another week before he gets shoes back on.
I've put him back on biotin, and once his feet are totally healed, he'll get pads on the front at least to keep this from happening again.
Next weekend I'll take pictures of them in their new home. It's a very professionally run barn, and I'm looking forward to being able to ride them both again. I won't be able to show this year, but if I can sell or lease Mercury, I hope that next spring I can buy a truck and trailer and show next season.

No comments: