Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Good book on horse thinking

I've been reading "Think Like Your Horse" by Michael Peace and Lesley Bayley. I was looking for a book with tips on how to build a young horse's confidence, and came across this one at the library. So far it seems like common sense, which is why I like it - something so simple it seems like you should have known it all along. For example, Willig and I have had two battles about trail riding. The first was to go away from all the other horses across the bridge into the woods. He did it fine from the ground, so I didn't think it would be that big a deal riding him, but it was huge. And I refused to get off and we had this long stubborn battle of the wills that I eventually won. The next week I thought I'd make it easier, and we'd go across the huge pasture where he could still see the "herd". That was easier, until we came to this tiny drainage ditch. Then another huge stubborn battle ensued, which I also won, but it was ridiculous. Finally, they moved the jumps in the outdoor arena last week, and he was totally freaked out about it (not about the show on the grounds, which by the way, he treated as if it were no big thing). I made him go past them on the lunge line over and over.
All of those are the same example, which this book says the horse needs to trust you (the leader) and if you make a big deal out of it, he'll make a big deal out of it. So I went back into the woods on a walk. Easy. We walked back and forth past the scary jump standards. Easy. I just need to be more patient with young, inexperienced Willig. What stops me is when I think he's doing it on purpose - he's big, he doesn't want to do it. That's what I think first, not that he's inexperienced and needs a crutch for now.
My new goal for this year, since it looks like we'll be postponing the truck and trailer purchase, is to work on confidence and trust, so that next summer we can start with him trusting me, being in new scary places, and by the end of the summer, he'll have learned that he can trust me no matter where we are and do whatever I ask because I've never let him down.
What helped me get that was that Mercury was just as scared of those jumps being moved. It was just easier for me to see with Mercury because I've known him longer.

No comments: