Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Sunday, August 17, 2008

An excellent jumping session with Willig today

Yesterday was super hot (around 90), so I rode in the morning and Willig had a touch of the crazies, which seemed right after pretty much two weeks off and an increase in his diet. The barn manager told me he lost 40 pounds, which was news to me since I've never measured him with the weight tape. So we added a 1/4 scoop of alfalfa pellets to his a.m. and p.m.
Today I set up a jump exercise from the 101 Jumping Exercises book (thanks, Dad!) - I think #28. It was three trot poles (4'9" apart for Willig), then from the third trot pole to the first jump, double the distance (but I made it 10' which I think was too far), then 18' to a cross rail that later I switched to a 2'6" vertical.
Then on the other side of the arena I set up a 2'6" vertical with the two barrels on their sides under it, and a pole 18' on either side.
First, I lunged him over all of it (and did the combination with just a pole on the ground, then as a half cross rail, then as a vertical). Then I rode him over the combo as a cross rail, and after three near perfect rounds, I rode it as a vertical.
It turns out Willig is even easier to ride over something that's higher than 12". He was great!
I registered him for the Hopeful derby at Happ's at the end of September, but I can't find any local shows or other unrecognized derbies between now and then. If you know of any (local means near Olympia, WA and shows means dressage or show jumping), please post a comment and leave a web page. Thanks!
Poor Mercury has had a week off now because they told me he was lame last week (incredibly, while I was gone), and then I lunged him the one day I was out during the week, and when I went out yesterday, his left front knee is swollen. There's no heat and he's not lame, so I hosed it today and kept him in half the day (with lots and lots of hay), but I think it might be a sting. He also seems to have some bumpy skin - almost like a rash - he's in a new pasture so I'm wondering if he's rolling in something he's maybe sensitive to.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

The only schooling shows I see on the Area 7 eventing page, Area 6 dressage page, and Pony Club page are not very close to you (1 to 3 hours away). Port Orchard, Whidbey Island, Spokane, Granger. I don't know anything about the hunter/jumper schedule, so that may be one last place to check.