Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Sunday, October 18, 2009

Mike riding Willig is an amazing sight

For my lesson this week, I wanted Mike's input on Willig, now that I've had Shannon and John ride him. This ride went a bit differently.
I had Willig warmed up in the indoor arena, Mike watched us do a few laps, and then he got on.
Willig had the prettiest round neck and the floppiest ears. The only times his ears went "radar" was when he looked back to see what Mike wanted. Mike's take away (or my take away, at least) was that Willig is uneducated, but trying.
What I describe as being stiff on the left is actually falling into his left shoulder - so much that when his head is crooked, that's what it is.
The rest of it was so far above my level, that it was inspiring to see Willig move like that, but also kind of depressing to realize that I will never, ever ride that well and I will never be able to make Willig look like that. It's like a waste of Willig's time to have me crashing around up there, legs flopping, hands zigging and zagging, seat pounding around.
Even if I took lessons every day for the rest of my life, I don't think I could look that good.
That being said, I got on, and Mike showed me (he is just so good at describing things!) what's been wrong with my jump seat since oh, I started riding. It's the same as the lower leg.
My lower leg has actually gotten good at the walk (and the canter, I felt it the next time I rode) but it still needs a lot of work at trot.
And I need to keep working on everything else.
I asked Mike what he thought about my approach, and he was realistic - the more time I can spend in lessons and on training, the faster Willig will progress, but there's a time and budget limit. Once a week just means we'll progress slower than twice a week. But he thought Willig was a nice horse.
Shannon ended up riding him the next day and said he was really good for her - a bit spooky towards the end, after he saw something through the door - but nothing unmanageable. Plus, they BOTH got sweaty that ride.
I took him on a trail ride today, a mental workout but not a physical one, and although he was a looky loo, I thought he did really great for him.
So - there is still plenty of road ahead. I'm trying to feel inspired by how much Mike can teach me, instead of daunted by how much I don't know - semantics, but the positive spin makes all the difference in the world.

No comments: