Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Monday, November 30, 2009

Hives!



Argh! Two years ago, when Willig moved up here from California, he got hives that we couldn't get rid of. If you look back at the blog, I spent all kinds of $$ on the vet and drugs and trying various things, none of which worked.
I moved him and put him on Platinum Skin & Allergy at the same time, and they instantly went away and didn't come back until about a month ago.
My vet had heard of one other horse that had something similar, and that's why he recommended the Skin & Allergy. Willig's blood work for allergies showed almost nothing.
So I was delighted to hear that another horse at the barn had hives, that she got them last year, and that they instantly went away when she switched from the barn hay (a great orchard grass) to timothy from one certain place.
In anticipation of the big switch, on Friday Willig's dinner went from 3 flakes of orchard grass to 2 flakes of orchard and 1 alfalfa.
Saturday, the hives were noticeably reduced.
Sunday, he got his new hay, so he is getting 1 alfalfa and 2 timothy.
Today, Monday, full hives again - new big ones. Not ridiculous, but nothing like Saturday's big difference.
Argh. Argh. Argh.
If ANYONE has heard anything about this, please let me know. I am going crazy. I am going to give him two more days on this timothy, and then try a different timothy. Then we will switch back to the orchard grass and alfalfa. Then I will tear my hair out.
The photos are of Thursday hives (bottom picture) and Saturday hives (top picture).

No comments: