Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Thursday, December 03, 2009

The latest hive theory didn't work

From the last post, instead of 1 orchard grass, we did dinner as 2 alfalfa and 1 local.
Didn't work.
The hives are an unusual pattern (mostly hive-free on his side (ribs) and only small ones on his butt and belly, but his neck is pretty hivey), but I was hoping for the miracle from a week ago where they were almost completely gone for two days.
If they're still bad Saturday, I'm going to switch him to:
am: 1 alfalfa
lunch: 1 orchard
pm: 2 alfalfa, 1 orchard

And see if it is the local (doubt it).

I also ordered Equi-Derm from Riva's Remedies, which I had forgotten we tried last time; I gave him an extra wormer tonight (Ivermectin; he got Anthelicide EQ last week when the farrier was out); and I ordered him some Strongid feed through wormer in case somehow this is coming from worms.

I also emailed Dr. Mansmann at NCSU, who got his PhD in horse allergies, and he asked some questions and I passed along Dr. Mike's contact information.
Beyond that? I have nothing.

Also, tonight I couldn't ride because of the wither hives, so Willig got lunged and it was either the cold or the alfalfa or the combination, but he got the crazies a couple of times. He's in his space suit blanket for this week, with nights below 30 and the days barely above 40.

1 comment:

Pure Vagaries said...

Martha,
This is going to sound completely crazy, but here goes. I found your website while searching for barns in the Lacey area. I moved here from Virginia 18 months ago and have been having a very difficult time finding a place to ride. I've competed on the "A" circuit and rode on the varsity show team at Sweet Briar College in Virginia. I have lots of experience working with young horses and have tons of references. Willig sounds like a fun but challenging horse. I know that if I got a message like this I would probably roll my eyes... but... would there be any possibility that you'd be interested in considering a partial lease on Willig. Obviously you'd have to see me ride and be comfortable that I'm not going to cause more harm than good. And certainly your trainers would have to agree and I would take lessons with them to ensure Willig would be getting a consistent message. I don't by any means want to replace your trainers as it sounds like you are getting wonderful training. But I am very much looking for the opportunity to ride a nice horse in a nice facility that isn't a long way from my home. I live less than 10 minutes from Forest Park. I know you mentioned in one of your posts that getting down here from Seattle wasn't always the easiest thing. I can send you photos, videos, references, anything you might want. I'd be happy to meet with you anytime. Anyway, thank you for reading my note and please give me a chance.
Sincerely, Amy
amy.hunter@yahoo.com