Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

First lesson in the new saddle (and in a couple months)

The cat just stepped on the mouse in some magical way and deleted 20 minutes of typing.
The lesson today was great - one of the best.
We worked the first 1/3 on, at each quarter of the circle, a leg yield out which made Willig tall and balanced. This involved a lot of thinking (but more, feeling) on my part. Once I put all the steps together, I could instantly feel the transformation, but as soon as I lost a step, I'd have to start over (1, then 2, then 3, then 4, then magic, then I'd lose my hand, so 1, then 2, then 3, then 4, then ooops, then 1, then 2 ... you get it).
The second 2/3 of the lesson we worked on canter transitions (he did quite nice) and this is probably where we're getting the most solid.
The last 1/3 of the lesson we did a dressage test (and I learned how to salute properly!), but Willig got a bit worked up about having to go past the scary short side, so we need to work on that some more. It was a good lesson for when a tired Willig is hungry but he needs to keep working, but wasn't quite as satisfactory as the first 2/3 of the lesson, which were just more magic.
The 20 minute version said that I am excited, and even though he fell down out of fear of the poodle earlier this week, I love the saddle, and today's ride was the reason I spend all my spare time and money riding.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Isn't it great when we get those reminders as to why we are constantly broke and busy?