Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Peteton - first dressage show of the season

This was a mixed bag. Like the FPEC jumper benefit, I was overall pleased, but at the same time disappointed*. (*Because I am a perfectionist.)
First, the weather was schizophrenic. Sun shining, gorgeous, then dumping rain 10 seconds later. While I love Washington summer, and can't wait for it to get here, this is the time of year I start getting frustrated. It doesn't help when I fail to get away during the dead of winter to somewhere sunny.
Second, Willig was a nut. He was rearing tied to the trailer, then I lunged him and he was leaping around the mounds with a crazy eye, and then I put him back on the trailer and he tried to roll, and basically he tried to dig a hole to China at his spot. Al was on the other side of the trailer and there were like two hoof marks. Willig's side of the trailer looks like someone was plowing to get ready to plant corn for the village for the year.
Third, I had the dogs in the truck, and while they were good and quiet, I was feeling guilty, and also anxious about the temperature (too hot, too cold, too wet).
So because Willig had his crazy eye, I got on him about an hour before my first ride. Fortunately, Shannon was just wrapping up working with Kerry, so she gave me a hard 15 minutes of warm up, which pretty much settled Willig down. Then we walked for about half an hour (at which point he got the "hops" and we had to side pass all the way down the long side because he wanted to be a moron - not showing off if anyone who was there watching is reading this - trying to avoid some bucking/bolting action). And then warmed up.
Now, two things were different. The test was inside, in a small arena, which I had NOT practiced the tests in.
And then, I haven't ridden the tests in about two months - usually I ride them way more than anyone would recommend, so that I have them memorized kinesthetically and can think about other things than the next movement during the test, like riding.
So this was a double whammy because the arena was small, the next movement came up fast, and I was already struggling to make sure I remembered the test.
What was satisfying:
- After Willig settled down, especially after the first ride, he was actually quite nice - much nicer than he's been since pretty much mid-March, when I quit being able to ride so much.
- And most of the low scores were expected: the small arena (it is really hard to lengthen him and collect him up when it only takes him like three strides to do the long side; similarly, it's hard to not lead with the shoulder when you're coming off a 10 meter circle at R and only leg yielding from X to K), and then his lack of bend and "quick" responsiveness are just me not riding him enough.
He got 3rd for 1-1, a decent sized class and just like .1 away from 2nd, and then sort of 2nd for 1-2, but she was scoring 1-3 with 1-2, and I didn't wait to see how the full thing broke out.
The scoring was on the hard side, but he got 58.276 for 1-1 and 57.838 for 1-2.
I'll probably just do 1-2 and 1-3 the rest of the season (I don't think I can remember three tests) and my ambitious goal is 2-1 for the informal stuff at the end of the season and to start working on a level 1 freestyle.
It was also good to have Shannon there because she holds us to the higher, consistent standard (see previous post on Mike's lesson), and then she always has really good suggestions, like: she pointed out that we weren't using the corners as much as we could (and thus, losing easily four strides on every lap around the arena), pointed out what I could do to make better use of my warm up (I get lazy), and also pointed out that once I enter the arena, I similarly shouldn't dawdle around in there, but make the most of my 1-2 minutes before my test starts. The best tip was not to ride him around all held up and squished at the sitting trot, but to let him relax, stretch out his back and topline, and post while I'm waiting to start the test. It was one of those "duh, why didn't that ever occur to me" and I'm so glad she said it.
Also, it was great to be there with Shannon there and with a friend. It makes such a huge difference in the day to be able to share it with someone.
So for Willig to start out on the wild side, I was very satisfied with how he performed during the tests. Reflecting back, a year ago I probably couldn't have even ridden him in one of those moods, and this time, I tried to channel that injury into "sparkle". And I'm not scared of it as much, more irritated, and it makes me ride him better (and then he's grateful for the clear direction).
I also rode the whole test at the sitting trot. Mike had suggested that I post, since my back is back to locked up (my fault for not working on it enough), but then it was easier to ride the small arena sitting because it made me keep him packaged so that we wouldn't overshoot a movement. And I did it! A year ago I could barely sit the trot - and I sat it like I was a tin man with only three joints - and now I can do it! This continues, with my lower leg, to be the thing I'm most proud of.

No comments: