Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Sleepy, yet naughty Willig

I asked today to work on some of the 1-3 movements. Although I can do them, I'm not sure I'm doing them the "correct" way - that a judge wants to see. In particular, the canter-trot-canter transition at X, the two 10 meter circles at X, and our straightness. I also wanted to review the walk-canter-halt work we started last lesson, because it has gotten really ... flailing as I've been working on it on my own.
So we started with just a 20 meter trot circle (thinking overflexed neck and then flexing him alternately left and right) with a lot of focus on the responsive transitions. And as we moved to canter, Willig decided he no longer knew how to pick up his right lead. So I got frustrated, and started collapsing in over my right hip, which would shove his hindquarters in (to the right) so he'd have to shove even harder out (to the left) and then would pick up the left lead. This got hilarious. In the sense that after riding for 20 years we couldn't successfully pick up the right lead canter is hilarious.
So after struggling with that, Mike switched us to some other work - doing the walk "pirouette" (feeling his hind leg crossing underneath) and then trotting, then a few steps of trot or walk and then back and just keeping him really, really focused.
Willig was, remarkably, lazy. He wasn't paying any attention to Prince, who was having a blast on the lunge line, Jessica riding, or me.
The other thing we focused on was me sitting up straight and tall - just like my trot position, and not to fold up and lean in when asking for the canter.
And to smack him with the whip when he ignores me. I'm very, very, painfully slow on this.
So then we did a bit of the 10 meter circles - all that stuff on the regular ground just makes him flexible and responsive and collected on his hindquarters, so this isn't as big a deal.
Then the left leg yield coming out of the 10 meter circle to the right - Mike said think "shoulder in" for a stride along the center line before starting the leg yield. While I got it in theory, I couldn't get Willig to stop trailing his hindquarters.
And of course, the walk-canter-halt work helps with the canter-trot-canter transition.
So Mike went and got his boots on, and came out and rode Willig for less than 10 minutes. Willig gave him a bit of a hassle at first (Mike said because of the spurs) but then settled down and just looked gorgeous.
When Mike got off, he said to work on keeping my left hand steady and kind of lifting my right hand - he thinks that I am probably squeezing with my right leg all the time, and also leaning on my right hip.
So I got back on, and holy cow - Willig was like a different horse. He felt puffed up in the shoulders - like someone had put a balloon between his front legs - and he was so sensitive. It was like I've been riding a horse with two dials (direction and speed) and after Mike got off, he had like 50. It was like switching from driving a beetle bug (two buttons) to a space shuttle (200 buttons). It was kind of overwhelming.
To wrap up the lesson, Mike was trying to get me to feel the straightness, and to get my body position better (turns out, I am riding around on the right lead with my left leg forward and my right leg back!), but mostly I was just "oooo, space ship".
I have NO idea how he does that with only 10 minutes on Willig. I wish I'd win the lottery so he could ride every day and I could take a lesson every day. Holy cow.
Like, he likes to talk about peeling the onion - we started with my heels down, and are gradually working into more and more detail. It's just that I thought the onion was like - I don't know - 10 layers. And today I realized it is at least 100 - maybe 1000.
So, unfortunately because we're working at the frontiers of my understanding, a lot of what happens in the lesson makes sense at the time (barely) but it doesn't stick enough on the first try that I can get it blogged properly. It's cool to be learning so much, but I wish I was a bit more natural at absorbing it.

1 comment:

Sand. said...

: ) Your last statement about how things make sense (barely) in the lesson and that's where it all seems to come to a halt, just made me chuckle as I feel EXACTLY the same in my own lessons! And I've barely cracked the skin on that onion!!

Great effort!