Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Friday, September 30, 2011

2nd day of work and 2nd level new movement

Yesterday I got to ride Pablo, Falada, and Prince. Two Grand Prix horses and a 5 year old who is a sweetheart. Mike gave me some suggestions while I was riding Pablo, but then he got busy with Teenie, and then we went on a trail ride with George and Falada.
During my lesson, by which point my abs were getting tired (yay in long run!), we worked on:
- Foot position. Yes, toes straight ahead (as if standing) is preferred to 45 degree angle - for dressage, because you need so much fine tuned leg movement.
- We did a 3 loop serpentine for the first time. Very cool, but I need to think about it - I have to lift the inside seat bone - unless it's the outside - why I need to think about it. And the geometry, which looks simple on paper, is not as intuitive to ride.
- Collection and being on the bit. Willig was having a day where he really didn't want to be on the bit, so there was a lot of heavy handed riding by me - it makes my arms tired.
- But then we figured out, after a canter lengthening where I basically threw the reins down, that maybe what I'm missing working on the "poof" by myself is that I throw away the connection. When I keep the "heavy" contact, Willig LIFTS, which is weird and also counterintuitive because the poof is so light and easy to ride.
- Don't put up with the laziness - if I want him to respond immediately to my aids, them make him respond every single transition every single ride.
I was kind of pooped by the end of the day, although it was pretty much what I'd do every day if I was a millionaire and didn't have to work, so it was a very happy, good exhaustion. It's also soooo cool to get to ride all those horses, and then about a million times cooler to have Mike there to give me little pointers. This is far and away the best use of my time I've made out of the last - 10 years? My life?
However, Willig is the LEAST fun to ride of that bunch. They're all different, they all look at the scary end to varying degrees, but I can't quite put my finger on what makes him more difficult. He's more ... wiggly.

1 comment:

Dressage Person said...

Hey there!

Just started reading your blog and really enjoying it. Thought I'd send you a note and tell you about mine as well... thedressageblog.blogspot.com

Thanks for the great posts, and good luck riding all those 'fancy' horses - they are such a good way to learn new movements and to fine tune riding =)

smiles,
DressagePerson