Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Sunday, October 09, 2011

1st jump lesson in about 2 months

Note 1: The jumps got "big" again with two months off. I was looking at 2'10", 2'11" like it was normal at the end there, and now 2'6" has become monstrous. I'm getting old ...
Note 2: Willig has been heavy on my deltoids lately (I am not sure what we're doing differently, but after about 10 minutes of it, my deltoids are screaming for mercy), and his first day of jumping, outside with the wind blowing up his tail, and that stupid poodle romping around in his barn, doing a three fence line heading towards the barn = no need to work on the deltoids at home with weights that evening. Lordy.
Note 3: My lower leg did NOT forget (like my eyeballs did with the height)! Shannon is worth her weight in gold for that alone. Willig had the end of one fence where he decided to be a pill and buck and skidder around sideways, and even though we'd been freight train barreling through, I was in balance above him over the last (highest) fence every time, so he couldn't unseat me or shake me out of balance and I could get right to the business of whipping him and making him work.
Note 4: Some of his antics lately have included these baby rears. Shannon said to always make him go forward (even forward in a circle) because he can't go up if he's moving forward.

What we did was some ground poles, and working on paying attention to me (not the wall) by leg yielding towards it and watching his ears and asking for the attention to refocus on me. At one point, he was so focused on the poodle that Shannon told me to circle to get his attention back to me, but he shifted right that second so we didn't have to. But good reminder - I need him focused on me, not other stuff, and not to keep going just because I want to do the fence next.
Then we did an easy line (really long distance between and trotting, two low fences), stopping at the end, turning around, and going back through it the other way. We did this a whole bunch of times, but he never really got lighter or more responsive. Ideally, when I'd sit up tall at the end, he'd slow down.
Then Shannon turned it into low verticals. Same thing, but cantering.
Then she put a third fence in the center, making it one direction, and made the end fence taller.
Then she put some stuff underneath the fences to make him look.
The good news is while he was looky (at everything but me - the fences, the poodle, her), he didn't do any snaky run-outs or anything like it.
He had the one little bucking jump after one line, but other than that, his only flaw was barreling like a jet, which is hardly the worst from him.
Plus, that third fence in the line, floating over it with my legs and balance just right every time? Heaven!

No comments: