Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Monday, December 05, 2011

Jump lesson on George

I was out of town for a week, and when I came back, Willig was off. I putzed around with him for a week, hoping it was arthritis, and then gave him bute for a week, so I rode George for my jump lesson.
George is a pretty green jumper, at least compared to Willig (I never thought I'd say that). But he still had to be a trooper because I just wasn't on my A (or B, or C) game. We had a lucky break of nice weather - no rain and not too cold with decent footing outside (not too mushy and wet).
We worked on a circle at first, then a circle over some ground poles, then finally a low combination (three trot poles to a cross rail, then eventually a 1 stride to a vertical, and then ending with a third vertical 2 strides from the middle).
I couldn't get my hands to stop screwing around with a mind of their own. Even my left leg couldn't outcompete my left hand.
This was so depressing and frustrating that I really don't even have anything to say about it.
The lesson I had a month-ish ago with Shannon where I had a eureka moment and rode without hands? That's what I need to be doing all the time, practicing all the time, until doing everything off of my seat feels natural. I need to brake by leaning back and using my back, not my hands. I need to steer off of my legs and seat, not my hands. I can't get the connection and power because I wiggle my hands around and let it all "out". So we worked with bridged reins and even then, my hands flapped and struggled to get free, and even on nice Mr. George, who knows how to ride off of seat and legs, I felt wild and out of control without my spazzy hands.
Afterwards, Willig got a light workout, and then handsome, sweet little Prince did a little teeny six jump trot course.

No comments: