Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Sunday, August 18, 2013

Jumping with John; Flatwork with Erin

Erin started my lesson today with some flat work, and having a new person saying the same thing was just what I needed.  I noticed the two rides before this one that my legs felt more drapey, but I can't figure out if it is the pilates I'm doing with the Beth Glosten video, or just (FINALLY) all of the concentrating on my legs clicking into place, so I was really curious how it would look to John and in a jump saddle.
What made it nice was we could focus on the next layer of the onion - which is keeping the outside hand steady with the contact, so that I can bend Charlie on the inside into the outside rein, which then helps him lift up.  The other thing Erin said, when Charlie was lugging around, was "off-on-off-on" with my legs, which is a helpful way for me to think about it, because my natural tendency is to "squeeze-squeeze harder-squeeze-squeeze harder". 
The other thing we worked on was being clear with the aids for the transitions - do a half halt with the outside rein, then add inside leg, then add outside leg.  When I do them clearly and in steps like that, Charlie leaps up into the canter, instead of tossing his head and falling forward into it.
Then John started with one of the same ideas - hold that outside contact steady, do a leg yield off the inside leg - have the proper bend - and THEN ask for impulsion in the trot.  This way, visually (sort of), Charlie's withers are the high point, and the front of them sort of tips down while the back lifts up.  I can feel this when it's right, but it is harder for me to get all on my own.

Then we worked up to a little course, and although it was nowhere near perfect, it was wonderful because - for the second time - I felt some of the things John and Shannon have been telling me click.  And not just click, but click in time for me to do something about it.  And not just do something - know what to do!  It was amazing!  Like a couple lessons ago when all of a sudden I could feel my hands pulling a few strides out from the fence, and once I could feel it, I could stop doing it, and I had the immediate gratification of as soon as I stopped doing it, it cleaned up the lines and made them perfect distances.  This was similar - I could feel a few strides out what needed to be fixed, and I could at least start fixing it - even if I wasn't fast enough to fix it all the way.  John commented on it too - that instead of sitting up there passive, I am finally reacting.

We also talked about next year and some of the upcoming shows, and John is going to make me a five week training schedule to get ready for NWEC.  Then I watched someone's youtube video of their training level course in the spring and thought there's no way even with five weeks, or maybe even all next year, I'll be ready!  I know Charlie can do it, but man - what a step up.  Not on the height, but on the ... technical side?  The fences are closer together, there are more turns, and more combinations and it's faster. 

Also, I need trailer driving lessons.  Mark had to get me out from between the fence and ditches.  I didn't fit through the fence, and then was unable to back out the way I came.  It was mortifying.

1 comment:

Kat said...

I'm also terrible at backing ;-)