Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Monday, May 26, 2014

Equestrian Institute Horse Trials

Although dusty, at least it wasn't raining in Cle Elum like it was on the west side.  We had a good time.  After dressage, we were on the bottom of a 5-way tie for 3rd in Rider Novice.  Cross country timing broke the tie, and we were in 4th.  We had a rail down in show jumping (totally my fault), but so did everyone else, so we stayed in 4th.
The great news is Charlie was a bit strong given the new location, so I had to ride him differently for cross country (and was able to do it successfully), but he was an honest champ, like always.
For show jumping, he was just absolutely 100% perfect in warm up, but my timing was off, so I had him wait a long time before we warmed up, then walk for a long time after we had a perfect warm up.  We did a bit of trot and canter before going in to ride, and he was awesome.  I had watched some of Training and had an idea what was giving people problems, so I didn't have any issues with those fences (and was immensely proud of myself for figuring it out).  However, I shouldn't have been too congratulatory because I applied my new found knowledge to certain fences, but not other fences (with exactly the same issue), so I didn't give Charlie enough forward out of a turn and knew the rail was coming down before we even got to the fence.  While disappointing, I did get 10 fences right, and could feel it, so I'm pretty happy with that.
Charlie had a horse-pooling buddy, Duke, which was nice too.  Duke's owner even got a few pictures!






No comments: