Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Monday, July 07, 2014

Lesson #2 with Britt

We had two primary things we worked on today, after a barrage of questions I had about the logistics of the three day.

First, we worked on a circle at the trot, then at the canter, and worked on bending each direction without Charlie's shoulder bulging out.  In other words, instead of bending at the neck (and the circle getting smaller), Charlie stayed on the same track and bent through his body to make a "macaroni" shape.  This meant I had to use the outside rein as a half halt, and then when the bend flipped "backwards", the inside rein became the half halt.  It took me a little while to catch on, but once I did, I could feel him balance instead of bulge out.  Doing the small canter circle - where the circle is coming from his shoulders - it helps to count 1-2-1-2 to keep the rhythm and not let him slow down.

The second thing we worked on was some fences, using the same feeling to get on a straight line to go over the center of the fence.  First, instead of just turning my head, I need to also turn my shoulders towards the fence.  Second, the impulsion comes before the turn starts, not on that final few strides in front of the fence.  Third, use that same bending hands - like wheelbarrow handles, but thinking of having like a short broomstick handle connecting my two hands - to use to push his shoulders around the corner instead of pulling his head around the corner.  This is also outside leg.  Fourth, then, once we come around the corner, inside leg turns on to keep him straight so we don't keep drifting on the angle out of the corner.  And fifth, once he is heading towards the fence, I can quit working.  Kicking at the last minute doesn't help - the impulsion came from before we started the corner.  This is just counting and keeping the rhythm.

Britt showed me to use my leg 1-2-1-2 and then if I need to a BIG 1- BIG 2 - BIG 1- BIG 2, but not a steady anaconda squeeze.  It really helped to have her do the movement so I could feel the difference between what I am doing (and not feeling) and what she meant.

No comments: