Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Sunday, October 26, 2014

Slimy layer of the onion with Beth

Today we got a little closer to the explanation for why I'm so crooked.  Not solved yet, but closer.
Right leg is stronger, especially in quad.
Exercises to do at home are quadriped (on hands and knees, right arm and left leg out - don't make a C curve when left leg is out); rocking on the ball and then roll back, making sure to elongate the back and shorten the ribs to pelvis, with knees relaxed - not just plummet back from shoulders; and scarecrow or swimming, with an emphasis on a long neck and the space between the shoulder blades, not the space below the shoulder blades.  Also, plank, but up on the forearms so it is hard to do only after a second or two.

On Charlie, we worked on halting or other down transitions from relaxing the inner leg, not squeezing him forward with my legs; then with an engaged lower ab and the motion coming right hip - left hip - not forward and back with the belly; then adding in relaxed legs, not gripping legs; and finally scarecrow back with the correct amount of tilt forward (that last bit is super hard).
Then we did some leg yielding with me not shifting my weight.  One way was easy, the other way much harder (off my right leg - I pushed my weight way over on my left seat bone).
Then a bit of sitting trot and posting trot without my right stirrup, which helped even out the snakey twist a lot, but Beth says don't work on too much at home because it might make my right leg clamp up more. 
For sitting trot, it was leaning back with my shoulders (which really wasn't in the mirror) and then feeling a lift up - like a hook was pulling me up by the belt.  I had a few really good sits where I had relaxed legs and could bounce up.
We did some trot work where I'd slow him down by slowing down my posting, but when we go forward, I tend to let everything go loose and let the energy all dissipate.
Charlie did a good job trying to stay under me but then got bored and nonresponsive, which was a good example of leg aid on, then off, then a smack with the whip if he ignores me.
Finally we did some canter work both directions, but I don't remember the homework.

There is a lot to think about just in the walk with the hips leading and pelvis staying still, and finding that balanced, even weight over the seat bones.  It still feels all vaguely out of grasp, like I'm not quite catching on, but I am getting bigger and bigger glimpses and feeling it more and more when I get it right, so I think we're continuing to make progress.

No comments: