Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Sunday, March 08, 2015

Aspen Farm Ride & Review - Training Dressage and Jump

Our first outing this year was a brilliant, warm, sunny March day.  Charlie got sweaty!
Both my dressage test (Training B) and the jump round had the same suggestion as John - canter is too flat, and needs to have more jump (be bigger).
The dressage ride and review (which, by the way, we got a 9 on the first movement and our first 8 on the collective marks!!) suggested that I try 4 strides lengthen, 4 strides collect, 4 strides lengthen, 4 strides collect, to get Charlie better balanced and more attentive.  It actually seemed to work pretty well.
The 15 meter - 20 meter lengthen circles felt flat and angled (like a motorcycle taking a turn), and his stretchy trot circle wasn't stretchy enough, but other than that, it actually felt like a decent test.  Especially because I haven't ridden it since last August!
I didn't warm him up much for jumping because I didn't want to wear him out, so we ended up doing the cross rail, two verticals, one oxer, waiting a few minutes, then doing the two rounds back to back.  The good news is that the jumps weren't overwhelming intimidating.  The bad news is we got a rail down in the combination in the first round, then a rail down and the skinny down in the second round.  The good news in the bad news is I could feel them coming!!!
Jonathan said his canter isn't big enough, that I need to rev it up in the opening circle and down the long sides and in the big spaces - and the same sort of back and forth.  He also said I'm slipping my reins, so I need to try to keep the same length or get them back for the second half.  Charlie just crashed through the skinny in the second round - he didn't even try - but I had him at the wrong spot, shooting at it, and at an angle.  He did do a nice recovery though for the up and down bank.  I was pretty happy with it.
Charlie is such a good guy.
Dogs did well too.
I had a wicked head cold and wasn't sure if I was even going to go - my head was so stuffed I was dizzy when I got up.

No comments: