Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Tuesday, June 16, 2015

3 loop serpentine at trot and canter

We didn't get to compete at Aspen because Charlie was ridiculously lame on Friday.  By Monday, he was back to normal.  No heat, no swelling, nothing I could find.  Per Dr. W's instructions, I gave him standing wraps, bute, stall rest, and cold hosing for three days, and the fourth day was just stall rest and then I got on him.
Then today we went to John's, where I still couldn't feel anything.  After my lesson, we watched a couple others, and Charlie did feel a little stiff as we walked off, so I'm wondering if it is not a foot but like a pulled muscle?
I asked John to look at his wind puffs and he said yes, indeed, they were wind puffs.  I told him I was anxious because Charlie never had them before and he said Charlie was never really working before.
During our lesson, we worked on more exercises that I can do at home.  They are designed to avoid frustration, where I am asking Charlie for the same thing in the same movement and not getting it.  They are supposed to keep Charlie sharp and responsive, making him naturally engaged instead of me trying to force him into it.
The exercises were:
10 meter circle to quarter line, leg yield to wall
4 loop serpentines (10 meter half circles), then deep into corner, outside rein, inside rein, then forward down the long side
3 loop serpentine to quarter line, leg yield to X, leg yield back to quarter line (and vice versa, leg yield to B or E, then back to quarter line)
3 loop serpentine at canter
By the end, Charlie was naturally lifted (although it helped that he has had essentially five days off).
John said that unless there is swelling, from now on he goes to the show and if he is lame, he gets bute. He said that some abscesses can come and go, so the foot is tender if they step on a rock, but then they get over it, and it ebbs and flows until the abscess is done working its way out.
Then we watched one of his students on her young former racehorse.  There were some antics from the horse that made me realize how much I am lacking in the control and balance department.  Then I watched a novice rider's jump lesson, and her horse lacked forward, so it was very helpful to watch her working on that.
As always, a great lesson with John that made my entire day.
I volunteered at Aspen for 1 1/2 of the days.  I worked mostly show jumping, and it was helpful to see the variety of riding styles (and personalities).  I walked the cross country course, and that was a huge relief.  There was a hard left turn to a roll top with a few strides to a log with a down bank into the water (first water combination) and I think one other slightly tricky combination, but other than that, I knew what the course was asking for and at least technically, I knew how to ride it (I think).  Nothing looked too scary or too hard, so Training is probably exactly right for this year ... if we can just get going.  I am very anxious that I am such a horrible horsekeeper that I am ruining Charlie.  Thank god for having John around to check in on him.

No comments: