Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Friday, November 06, 2015

Calo's third lesson with John

I forgot to blog his second one, but it was basically progress on his first lesson.  He got better and better each day until last Sunday, when he just conked out and we had a huge battle each ride for the next three days, until my right arm got so tired I just lunged him and then took a day off waiting to ride with John.
Then during today's lesson, he was basically back to the progression-Calo.
John said I need to work on inside leg, but it is hard because he tries to move to the outside instead of bending.  Then I need to do squeeze and release (sometimes pulling hard and open) instead of just a steady pull, to try to break the "lock" in his neck and get him to bend.
John said Calo is fairly unbalanced in the canter, so it throws him off to bend and have someone one him (why he can canter just fine on the lunge line).  He also spent about the first 15 minutes just being anxious, so we just did trot stuff to soothe him so that then he could work.
John said it is ok to let him lunge forward, then just to regroup him and try to make him bend again - not to try to make him keep moving in frame.  He also said that I needed to control the tempo of the trot more.
I asked him whether he should stay, and he said yes:  he doesn't eat much, it won't matter if I miss a day because I'm busy, and more hours in the saddle is always good.  So I'll talk to J&M about him staying longer.
It was a good lesson, but I was annoyed with Calo for not being anywhere as naughty as he was the last four rides.  I want him to be as bad with John so I learn the tools for dealing with it at home.
We'll see how much more I learned from this lesson, and how much we can progress until next Tuesday's lesson.

No comments: