Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Sunday, February 11, 2018

"Get your ass in the saddle"

Re Duke's biting, John said don't feed him by hand (put treats in his bin), and if I'm in his stall with him have him in his halter with his lead line trailing.  If he bites me, he gets hit, even if he already knows he was bad.  He said that sometimes there is head swishing before ears pinned as a signal that I'm in his space and a bite is coming.
For lessons, I'm going to keep with my slot instead of going back to a group lesson with Meg.
The hind legs warm and front legs cool is something he can't do anything about (ha ha) but also there's nothing to do but wait and see how it affects him.  I think I'm going to try to put Sore-no-more on his front legs in his stall in the evenings from now on though, to see if it improves his circulation.  I wonder if his back on track boots would help too.
For Training Test B new movement, it's just a Volte, not anything fancier than that.

Duke was great in his dressage lesson, but it was another one that's going to be hard for me to describe, because it was a lot of tiny movements with John telling me the correct aid at the correct time.
We started out working on a 20 meter circle, and then John put a few 10 meter circles in at random places.  The aids we worked on were outside hand in a half halt (to control his shoulders but more often, to make him round), inside hand (to bend to the inside), a little bit of bend to the outside, giving forward a little (which makes Duke go soft and round), outside leg back (to push his haunches in to make the bend around my leg correct), timing of the inside leg (a fast now-now-now), both legs on to ask him to go forward, and then, the name of this post - the instruction to get my ass in the saddle at the canter.  For whatever reason, this cracked me up, and it took all my willpower not to laugh and piss John off.  We started on the right lead canter, and that direction it is harder to stay seated in the canter (it is hard on the left lead too, but not as hard as the right lead).  I generally start letting him throw me up and then, as he gets round, I sit deeper.  But to ride his canter, I have to kind of curl my tail bone under and then hold it down with my lower back, so it takes a lot of concentration to get all those muscles coordinated.
Duke was responsive and we eventually got him round, and there were a few minutes of trot towards the end where he felt just amazing - up and over his back, I think is what the feeling was, and it was just this quiet, bouncy, soft trot that was just a delight to ride.
John's in Fresno next week, so I have to go a whole week without lessons.  Poor me.

No comments: