Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Saturday, March 10, 2018

Very lame Duke

Poor Duke was very, very lame tonight.  He had a head bob at the trot going to the right (easy to see), but then when he went left, he was like whole body heaving lame - impossible not to see.  His whole head and neck were going up and down.
I could not find any swelling, any heat, or any pressure points.  I pressed with the curry for a sore muscle in his back, and found nothing.  Both hind ankles felt a little thick but normal thick and cool.
So I gave him a gram of bute and sore-no-more on all four legs, hocks, and stifles.

He hasn't felt lame, but he hasn't felt himself for at least a week (I need to check calendar) but certainly at the derby he didn't feel like he was pushing through from behind.

So I guess the good news is if I think he feels a little off, he and I are communicating well.
The bad news is I don't know what we could have done - he wasn't off.  I guess give him a few days of stall rest and bute as soon as he feels a little off?  This will make me neurotic.

John saw him Wed and he wasn't visibly off (and didn't feel off).  Although I'd say the few rides before John, he felt a little, I don't know sluggish - and then worked out of it.

Unfortunately, he had Thursday and Friday off because I was working insane hours, so I don't know if he got worse after the jump lesson, or if it was the days off, or totally unrelated.

It is also 3 1/2 months since his steroid injection, so I guess it could have worn off (too quickly) and if he isn't better in a couple days, he'll go down to Dr. R the next week.

No comments: