Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Wednesday, December 05, 2018

Duke spent a week with John

And now he's a fine-tuned machine instead of a dull blade.  It was really impressive.
Duke is a good communicator, so I could feel how he wanted me to ride him, with my upper calf instead of squeezing my whole leg, slightly tilted forward on my seat bones, and hands out of his mouth.  Duke carried his own head (and didn't wiggle it around), balanced himself, stepped more underneath himself at the walk, and was well balanced and forward at both the trot and canter.  When I got everything just right, he would also lift up his back, so I could wrap around him.
He was, however, also sensitive, so if I jerked around, or lurched, or pulled on his face with my hand, he'd brace himself and stiffen his neck to protect himself.
We did some work on the flat, and then went over the middle fence (without the three cavalleti).  It was nice to watch a couple of his other students first, to see that I'm not the only one who is having a hard time making the bending line.
John said that Duke tries hard, and that he gave one lesson sitting on him, to teach him about standing still.  He said he thinks Jane might have done that too, cocked a hip and put the reins in one hand, but that Duke was really good about it.
He said that Duke has a good personality, and sometimes powers up, and that twice John missed the jump, and so Duke was like "look, dude, I got this".
He also said that he thinks Duke knows when he's got it right, and expects to end.  He said they were working on shoulder-in, and when Duke finally got it, he was all like "ok, let's get out of here."
He said that Duke can't be manhandled or overpowered into doing something - that he has to be convinced he wants to do it, although he does want to please.
And he also said I've gotten good at - well, better at - riding him balanced.
I was thinking about it, and compared to last year, I think we've both improved, which is good.  I don't think John has ridden him in about a year, so it was good for John to feel what I've done with him on my own (although he can also see it from the ground).  Since I always think I'm going to ruin a horse, this was good news as well.
But what was most amazing was how good and sensitive and forward Duke felt.  It was just amazing that John could make him so fine-tuned, and that I can squish it out of him.  It's a good standard to have felt, so that I can expect more and ask more of him, and be aware of how well he can move, but I need to be more precise with my aids and balanced.
We both agreed that a light bulb went off for Duke maybe three weeks ago about balancing on those 10 meter circles, and that it helped quite a bit.

No comments: