Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Thursday, April 11, 2019

Duke the jalapeño

We jumped last night with Christa, and man, Duke was ready to go.  I put him out in the round pen first, which evoked one leap, but that was about it.
Then I got on him, and he was like "yyyaaaaasssss!"
We could not share with Christa.  Instead, I had to ride him to a halt, because he'd LEAP the final stride and then charge after the fence.  I saw Parker ride one of John's horses using the wall to halt a few weeks ago, so I did that, until he got calmer and we could halt earlier, and by the end, we didn't need to halt at all, we could make the turn (a figure 8 from an oxer to a vertical which I saw Andrea doing last weekend and thought I could never ever do) and go to the next fence.
John checked him about half way through, after he got sweaty, to see if his leg muscles were tensing up, and he was ok, but he said not to go to OHC this weekend.  I thought Duke was just too wound up, but John was focused on him coming back up to work after the incident.

No comments: