Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Saturday, July 13, 2019

Smooth jump lesson

Although I didn't ride Friday night (John rode Thursday), Duke was master class during his jump lesson today.  John told me that in the future, if I can't make it, even if it's late, to let him know and he will go out and hack Duke if he can.
We started over a cross rail, using it to change directions, then it turned into a vertical, and then John started us on a small course right away, with a seven stride line.  Then we jumped a two stride to five stride, then to a triple bar.
Duke felt great.  On turns, I bend him a little to the outside, then use an inside open hand to move his shoulders back over.  In between the fences, I have to think really hard about keeping my left leg on so he doesn't drift out.  I don't need to look down at the fence, and for the love of god, put my damn heels down.
But other than that, Duke was a delight to ride today.  It was very much a confidence building lesson.

No comments: