Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Friday, August 09, 2019

Jump lesson after John rode

It's been a month (?) or so since John rode Duke, and god damn that man can ride a horse.  I rode Duke early yesterday morning and he felt great, but with a few instructions from John (outside leg up in front of girth; inside leg then bend then forward) all of a sudden in the trot in warm up, Duke *lengthened* like nobody's business - as in, I could actually feel his front feet and shoulders pick up. It was DIVINE.
Then we jumped some jumps, like rock stars.
Then John solved my life problems.  I asked him how he made me do things and he looked astonished and astounded and said "I don't TELL you, I ask you.  And when you're doing something [stupid], I ask you why you're doing it."

Duke jumped a cross rail, vertical, oxer, then a triple that was a one stride to two stride.  Sometimes we had to do it twice for me to get it right, but then we'd get it right and it was amazing.
John said that Rebecca FEI ring was lots of rails down compared to the other ring, and he thinks it was just too busy, it was too hard to focus on the basics (get your horse between your legs, get to the center of the fence).
I asked him if we should skip Spokane and he asked why, but the answer was no, Duke and I need the practice, and even though work kind of suck before, he'll help me like we did in the spring with Duke staying with him as necessary.

LOVE John.  Love him.

No comments: