Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Monday, September 16, 2019

Schooled the water again; also, tack cleaning tips

We warmed up over a few fences inside (it's been pouring rain - early, but spring was early too), then went out to the water jump.  John had us start by jumping over the roll top a couple times, then he had us come into the water "sideways" over a vertical.  Duke hesitated, but jumped in, and John told me to use my hips to finish the fence.  We did that a couple more times, then rode the gray/blue brush to the drop.  Duke went right on in.  We did it a couple more times, and John told me that he thinks I've used up my leg and I just need that little push to finish, so to look up, close my leg, and then use my hip to push him forward.
Since he freaks out about the whip.  He had a melt down yesterday when I whipped him, but John said it was just too much after he cut his face in his stall and got whipped the hardest ever by me on Saturday.  He said that he expects that Duke was pretty strong over fences on the far side when he started, and that someone halted him and backed him to train him not to run off on the far side.  And that because Duke is sensitive, and wants to please, when he got whipped after that, it just blew his mind.  So he thinks that's why Duke has problems both with the whip and with the rein back.
I did a couple in warm up, and John had us do one (without hands - omfg impossible), and Duke was ok about it.  Not brilliant, but not having a melt down.
I think I'm still going to school the water at EI.  Once he's been in once, Duke doesn't hesitate, but I think it's the reflection and not seeing how deep it is that is part of his worry too.  And he just needs to be with me long enough to know I'm not going to make him jump into water over his head - whatever it is a horse worries about for the depth of water.
Then John had to clean my tack because I was so slow clipping and cleaning Duke, and he said to just use a damp sponge to get the dirt off, instead of rubbing it into the leather with tack cleaner.  He showed me how gross my bridle was with one run of the sponge (yech) and Katy said my tack is always kind of sticky.
Good lesson.  But now I have to get up in 7 hours (?) to ride again because of stupid work schedule before this show.

No comments: