Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Saturday, November 02, 2019

Dressage lesson - foot still gimpy

Not lame, but Duke's right front foot - maybe because it was a little short and then the shoe got reset twice, feels just a hair off.  I can't feel it at home (in the too deep sand that John says yes, can cause soft tissue damage), but I felt it at John's.
October might have been my lightest lesson month ever - just the one dressage lesson.  Probably lightest riding month ever too.  I told John that he was right - Duke got pissy without the regular work.  He said if he runs away again, just give up and leave him out for a while.
He checked my trailer, we talked about work, talked about my bloodwork, Duke's weight, and November schedule.
I rode, then we took a break so Ashley could jump Luca, then finished off the lesson.  We both agreed that we were both pleasantly surprised Duke and I weren't worse after the time off.  So I guess that's good news.
We worked on getting him a bit rounder - just using my legs to shape the curve, giving a little with the inside rein, once doing a little bit of counterbend.
It was a light lesson as far as instruction (and he took some video but then didn't say anything about it).  I needed to use my legs in different places (e.g. one in front of the girth, other in regular spot) to get him round.
In November, John will ride him a fair amount because I have three different weeks where he needs to be at Caber because I have ridiculous all day meetings several days in a row.  And I'll squeeze in a few rides around those and a few lessons, but by December we'll hopefully be back to regular work.

No comments: