Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Saturday, January 18, 2020

Flat lesson, Day 8 (?) of bute

Mr. Duke spent a few days at Caber this week; John rode him once, I rode him a couple times before and after.  After John rode him, I could feel a difference, but he didn't feel as smooth as he usually does.  John had me work hard on bending him - he's just leaning on my hand and ignoring me, basically, so we bent him to the inside until I could see his eye, then to the outside.  John said at home I need to ride him with draw reins once or twice a week until he gets out of his new habit.
He also had me ride him a bit more forward than I normally do, both at the trot and canter.  He clucked/kissed at him, and Duke lept into action.  It was kind of irritating, since he pretty much blows me off.
We also tried a real dressage whip instead of my baby crop and took off his bell boots; John had me order a pair of professional choice no spin (the little bump to hold them in place) size large.
I still felt awful and discombobulated, like my hands are jerking all around, and my upper body and my lower leg.  I don't know if I can feel it better, or if it's so much worse that I can't help but feel it.
Duke's down transitions were much better, but he isn't anywhere near where he was at the end of last show season, so we have a long road ahead of us.  I just kept thinking "oh my god, another year of being in last place".
His hooves have been warm, but rotating - not consistently warm and not very warm.  I don't know what's going on.  John thinks Duke is a little stoic and works through it, and finally just kind of crapped out.
Onward ...

No comments: