Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Saturday, February 08, 2020

Jump lesson - two oxers, one triple combination

Couple big takeaways from this lesson:  I'm twisting towards the outside in my canter, which is (possibly) making Duke land on the wrong lead (when we switch directions each time).  Putting my weight down in my outside leg, using the outside leg aid, and looking the direction I want to go makes him switch from 100% wrong lead to 100% correct lead.
It is easier to ask Duke to turn and control him over the fences with my legs than my hands.

We did some trot and canter work, then a small vertical (going left), a bigger vertical, an oxer (3'4").  Duke was fabulous.  We switched directions and went over a small oxer that had fewer strides in front of it after the turn, but more distance on the far side.  Duke got a little flat and grabby, so I had to really ride him out of the corner.  This was a good exercise, to feel the difference between the two types of turns, and how much you have to plan ahead.
Then we switched to riding down the center, over three one-stride verticals.  Duke was pretty good on these, except for me and the wrong lead thing.
Good lesson.  Duke likes to jump.  Me too.
We got to walk up the hill and back in a break in the rain afterwards.

No comments: