Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Sunday, November 05, 2006

I chose Mercury over the puppies


It became clear really quickly after Kevin moved out that I couldn't actually do it all. "All" consists of working (especially with two big cases in), riding Mercury, going to the gym, and taking care of the animal family. After angst and deliberation and a lot of tears and stress, the puppies are going to new homes and my life is going to be lonely and easier.

I didn't have a lesson this weekend, but when I was riding today I started to make a list of accomplishments and things to work on.

Accomplishments in the last year:
Legs don't swing as much
Body not tilted as far forward (i.e. sitting more upright)
Body doesn't pendulum when change gaits
Smoother transitions for both of us (the canter down to trot has improved; trot to canter today needed work; trot/walk has improved)
Hands are more still, though not still enough
Mercury is more on the bit and moving more forward
I have really increased my awareness of my body - I can't always correct it, but I can feel a lot more things that are wrong. And I FEEL them, not know them.
I can also feel Mercury better - I can feel better how to move him and how he is moving.

Things to work on - macro level:
Sitting trot
Still hands
Jumping (everything)
Holding things together for longer

1 comment:

nq said...

ugh, sounds like re-training is a lot of work, and yet i am SO looking forward to it! (i am starting riding again, potentially, next week, after a bad fall three years ago caused much phsyical and psychological damage... though the horse i have aquired for this is a qh reining mare, so no eventing yet (and never on her)...)
also, congrats on your accompishments last year! especailly increased body awareness, that one's so friggin' hard...