Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Monday, May 28, 2007

Dressage Lesson on 5/28 and Volunteer at Happ's

I am ashamed to admit it, but I think I volunteered for the first time ever at a horse show. I've gone and watched a lot, but I don't think I've ever helped out. It was interesting. There is a lot of work that goes into keeping things flowing and organized, and I have a whole new appreciation for how much effort that takes. I also had no idea that people talked to the dressage judge. Bob told me he's told me to say thank you, but it never registered because I think it's rude to talk to the judge. He says its common courtesy. It's also interesting to observed the attitude of the riders. I witnessed one really rude altercation (and that was an hour and a half after the actual rude event), and it turned my ears red. Bob's course, by the way, looked super, super fun.
So today I had my dressage lesson. It was ok. I was crabby from watching the other beginner novice riders because Mercury can't jump at a canter yet (he can, but it is considerably less well than at the trot) and there's no way to make the time at a trot.
Bob said to sit up more, don't post so high, and to be careful my legs don't move at the trot.
Around corners keep him balanced and keep the tempo consistent.
Don't let him hang on my hands (or the martingale, but I can't feel when he's on the martingale).
Change things - never go two laps doing the same thing because he checks out.
We worked on transitions - trot/canter, trot/walk, and then trot/halt.
This is pretty blah - I'm sure Bob told me lots more, but I was busy being pissed that we're not better than we are and I don't feel like trying to remember it all right now.
The other thing that stunned me from the horse show was that a basic novice horse now sells for around $18,000.

No comments: