Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Thursday, May 31, 2007

Some numbers

During my lesson, Bob was telling me some numbers, that will no longer be accurate, but I will do my best to repeat them for a rough idea:
98% of event riders are single women ages 35-42, who make more than $100,000/year.
An average novice horse now sells for $15-20,000;
A training level horse for $20-30,000;
and a Prelim horse for $35,000 and up.

I'm not 35 yet, but I'm not going to be making $100,000/year unless I switch to private practice and then don't ride anymore but pay Bob to ride. (He has offered, numerous times now, to take Mercury at training level if I pay for the shows. I can't really tell if he's joking because I don't see how inexperienced Mercury, even in Bob's very capable hands, could do some of those jump combinations.)
Bob also said that a lot of those "riders" are actually rich women who pay trainers to ride.
And I'll go ahead and post this - Mercury only cost $3500. Even if he's "green", what a bargain for a horse who will hopefully one day go training level (since it will take both of us many years to get there - though it's a race against Mercury's age since he's 13 this year).
The other thing Bob said was that a lot of riders don't learn how to "train" the horse, so they have to get new horses every 2-5 years when the new horse starts to exhibit the same problems as the old horse (rider-source). One reason why the horses cost so much is it takes a lot of time to train them.
He said we were in the "fine-tuning" stage with Mercury this year - that last year was the big stuff, and now we're focusing on details. It doesn't feel like details to me, it feels like a plateau. But I see his point - if he teaches me how to train Mercury, then I can sort of work with the next horse too. It's just frustrating and time consuming. And I never want Bob to leave.
He said I just need to be patient - now Mercury just needs experience for the next couple years.

No comments: