Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Sunday, December 30, 2007

12/30/07 Lesson - first time riding in two weeks

I lunged Willig, then Bob rode him about 15 minutes to "prep" him (my parents were here watching), then I rode him. About 10 minutes in, I was pouring sweat and exhausted. We went about 10 more minutes, but then I had to ask Bob to stop the lesson early because I was getting so tired. It's weird, because he's so smooth to ride, but I still get tired. Bob said it's because I'm tense and holding my muscles rigid.
Anyway, we worked on the same stuff: head bent to inside, ask for bend with outside rein half halts, ask ahead of the corners, add inside leg and keep impulsion and consistent movement through corners, don't lift my heels and squeeze as I get tired, sit in the canter, yell at him if he's bad.
I had a few questions, and Bob taught me a new fabulous trick. The trick was to hold onto the saddle pad with my inside hand to prevent it from moving around. It made a huge, immediate difference in the way Willig moved, but also in how I felt. I am relying a LOT on that hand, which shouldn't be moving.
My questions were about my back hurting when I ride (becuase I slouch and bend forward, and his big movement jars my back - I need to improve my posture), and I have been wrapping the lunge line around my hand (bad, I know) and when he jerks, how do I keep it from squeezing my hand (tie a knot in the end instead so it slides through my hand and stops at the knot).
It felt like a really good lesson, and I'm really looking forward to working him again. I have learned a lot the past couple weeks with the lunge line, but we're both getting bored.
The dexamethazone cleared up the hives right away. He has a couple tiny spots, but looks fabulous.

No comments: