Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

JE Clinic - Day 2

Day 2 was better than day 1. We started with a few show jumps. Willig started great, but then refused the "big" red oxer. And then refused again. Then Jonathan lowered the front rail to an x, and he went over it twice - HUGE. I jumped off and Lexy (one of Jonathan's students) rode him up and off the bank a few times - at first he refused and then got it and did excellent (and then the other horses refused).
I rode him on and off the banks a couple times, and he acted like it was no big deal.
We went out into xc course, and he did excellent - until ... scary hill jump. The jump itself wasn't that big, but it was on a slight downhill (the downhill off the bank instead of the bank itself), and, like the day before. He refused, and refused, and refused, and refused, and refused. It was so frustrating.
As best I can tell, the first time it was my fault - he was looking at it like 'whoa! scary!' and I was thinking "whoa! scary!" and so he screeched (slowly probably) to a halt. So then the next time I thought "I bet he's going to refuse" so he thought "I better refuse". So the THIRD time I thought "damn it, we're going over this jump" and he thought "This is the jump I'm supposed to refuse."
Jonathan told me I needed to be careful about not letting him start to learn he's going to refuse every jump ...
Foreshadowing ...

No comments: