Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Monday, July 20, 2009

2nd jump lesson with Shannon

Willig and I had a much more ... show-and-tell jump lesson last week.
Shannon started us with a gymnastic, which was really cool.
There was a ground pole 9' away from the plastic blocks (that I think make a 2' vertical) as a cross-rail. You head into it from a trot.
Then it's 18' to a low vertical (probably 2' - I haven't measured, but it's small).
Then 9' plus a roll to another ground pole.
That's how you start: pole, cross rail, vertical, pole.
Then you add from the vertical, 21' to an oxer, but start it as a vertical, and then add the second pole for the oxer after you've done it a few times.
So it's: pole, cross rail, vertical, pole, oxer.
Willig did it just gorgeous over and over. What we worked on was me not jumping ahead, steering him through with my legs, planting my hands about 5 strides out on his neck and pushing against them, and keeping him moving forward and through. This was all much harder than it sounds.
After we did this several times and he was just great (he did one little half-assed head shaking buck at the end of one line), Shannon set up a course for him.
And this is where he gave her a full-on example of how he is naughty.
We came off the gymnastic, had a big wide left hand turn, and had plenty of space to approach the fence and see it coming.
And even though he's jumped that particular fence at least 20 times, he decided to run out to the left, buck, and do the little "whee!" with his front legs.
My reaction time was too slow, so he got away with all that, I didn't yell at him, AND I was getting ready to stop him, but Shannon had us canter on a smallish circle several laps, then move the canter circle out, then jump a little cross rail a few times each direction.
And then Willig panted and was tired.
Then we did the gymnastic line again, and then the course.
Willig gets a bit - headstrong - it feels like rushing to me, but Shannon says it's not, but he is kind of strung out.
So our homework before the next lesson is to work the course, a figure 8, whatever, over and over and over again until he is bored with it, and to work in between fences on control, and to work on the flat on me speeding him up and slowing him down at will.
And to continue using the super fun and fabulous gymnastic to work on my position.
It was kind of frustrating - he had been doing so well on the gymnastic that I did not see or feel the naughtiness coming at all, and then I spent the rest of the lesson not trusting him and having to really work at sitting up and riding into him instead of curling up into a scared little ball.
Shannon's other tips were to growl and, if possible, smack, at the first sign of naughtiness, to make it harder work to be naughty than to just jump the fence already, and to not lose contact with my outside rein on circles.
Of course, I probably threw all this to the wind with our poodle follow up the next time I tried to ride him. We'll see how he does next time, I guess.
Shannon says our next lesson will be on condensing his body - instead of the 9' to the fence, make it 7' or so, and he'll have to learn to squish his body up instead of spread it out. She said it helped a lot with one of her horses.

1 comment:

Heather B said...

I'm not really sure how I wound up on your blog site, but glad I did--very good reading. I've just recovered from a fractured pelvis and a broken foot, and am having problems getting my "guts" back since getting back on my horse. My goal? To jump again without my hands shaking the whole time! Nice to read your chronicles with Willig--gest of luck!