Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Monday, July 20, 2009

Gory picture alert - don't look if you can't stand blood!


I gashed my elbow yesterday falling off of Willig.
The short version of the story is that I was working him on the gymnastic exercise from my lesson (which will be the next posting), and the new neighbors on the other side of the arena were standing in their yard, drinking beer, with the spastic poodle on its leash thrashing around every time it saw Willig.
Because I had T with me, I decided to try to work Willig anyway, despite the fact that he is scared of that particular poodle ever since the day it ran onto Shannon's property, lunged at him, made him rear, and in general, terrorized poor tiny delicate Willig.
Although he was not stellar at paying attention to me, he was doing a great job basically doing what I asked and jumping the gymnastic really nice.
But at the end of the jump, the poodle couldn't take it anymore, started barking, Willig started bucking, the poodle barked more, and Willig took off bucking down the long side.
Miracle of miracles, I stayed on almost the entire length of the arena (which is, when you're on a bucking Willig, a very, very long side), maybe 5-6 bucks, T estimated.
But the last one, I was yelling at him, trying to jerk his face up, had lost both my stirrups a few bucks earlier, and decided to go for his neck to swing off, and that launched me off the side.
I hit the arena footing in a roll, and it gashed my elbow open.
Willig then proceeded to run for about 10 minutes straight, in a full blown panic, while T went over to talk to the neighbors. The only one left in the yard was the husband - the wife (who had been yelling at the dog the time it chased Willig) and the guests were already inside.
Blood got all in my glove and on my dressage crop, but once Willig quit running, he calmed down right away.
I rode him back and forth past their now terrifying yard (his body tenses up to jump as we go past) several times, did some trot and canter to make sure he could listen again, then we did the gymnastic reverted back to baby level twice, and then we put him away and I went to urgent care for stitches.
The location ended up not getting stitched, because the doc thought it would get infected, and the nurse gave it a - shall we say - vigorous - scrubbing with a toothbrush. Thank goodness it was numbed.
My big fear now is that we're going to have to go back even further, now that poodle incident #2 has happened, or, heaven forbid, he'll start bucking again.
Now, these weren't malicious, get-off-me bucks - they were oh-my-god-that-poodle-is-going-to-eat-me-if-I-don't-get-out-of-here-NOW bucks. I think he completely forgot I was up there.
Also, he's got about 5 hives. I put his flysheet on and put him back on garlic, but I hope this isn't the return of the hives. Ech.

No comments: