Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Thursday, September 03, 2009

Hot off the press - lesson summary trumped by poodle success

Twice in the last two weeks, armed with a bag of treats, Willig and I have gone out to the terrible side of the outdoor arena where the terrible, terrible monster poodle lives. Both times he has happily munched treats with no sign of the poodle.
Today (drum roll) he did the same thing - with the poodle galavanting around in the yard. The poodle was out as we were heading in, and while his ears flicked in the direction of the poodle, that was all it was - a flick. Then they flicked right back onto the bag of treats. Although the poodle went in after a only a few minutes, it was a few very, very satisfying minutes for me because Willig acted like he could have cared less about the poodle's existence.
Granted, he was just ridden vigorously, and has had two positive experiences, and I haven't been working out there and stressing him about the poodle, but I think we've both learned a couple valuable things.
(Treats work wonders, and I am not so smart because it never even occurred to me to use the treats until Mike suggested it.)

As to my lesson.
I'm going to try to just hit the high points, so it's easier for me to review.
Lower Leg
- My lower leg is creeping forward again. We worked on this by doing the standing 5 strides/posting 5 strides, and feeling the spot where the lower leg is totally, absolutely rock solid and secure. Mike says when it's in that spot, it's an 8 or 9. We are ignoring my upper body.
- Once my leg is in that spot, I have to keep thinking about pushing my *(#&^*(^&*# heel down. I can feel it when my leg goes into the right position, but the second I stop thinking about it, sproing - it's right back to a heel up.

Leg Aids
- Wake him up - a few tippity taps.
- Then ask, with the drum swing (not the heel squeeze) once - firmly and briskly. The second time, add the whip. (I didn't need the whip - the tippity taps and then one firm ask was all he needed.)
- Give him 1-2-3 "heads up" information before I change gaits (up or down).

On the Bit
- The reason he can fling his head all around is because I ride around with the draw reins all droopy. Tighten my draw reins.
- And we practiced by looping his rein-reins and riding in just the draw reins so I could feel the proper contact.

Sitting Trot
- Slow him down, and then just keep practicing bigger sits. It will come, just more slowly than the first leg of progress.

Transitions Up and Down
- STOP THROWING MY CONNECTION AWAY!!! Every up transition (and some of the down), I just throw my hands forward. Think of the 1-2-3 (above), give him a clue I'm doing it, pull him together (push him into my hands which STAY STEADY CONTACT), and then ask with the braced back. When I can get myself together, he just lifts right up or down. When I throw my hands around or fold my body up, he flops or runs into it.
- Also, don't let him be lazy. If he's dragging around in the canter, ask with the quick drum aid to pick it up.
- We practiced this by trotting and then halting or walking. I know how to do this (braced back, braced hands) but I don't do it going up - I fold my shoulders in and throw my hands forward. So I need to really concentrate on changing that habit.

Willig is responding really well. I have a lot of ideas for where to go next with training (more lessons, Mike riding him), but first I want to tackle whether he'll go to John Camlin's for a month.
Mostly, this still seems to be coming from me. Although he has had those naughty moments, I'm letting those few moments control how I ride the rest of the time. When I ride him properly (and now we're into learning new stuff about how to ride him properly, so it's harder and I need to practice it more), he just rides beautifully. He just is green, not bad.

No comments: