Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Hive free!

Last week I cut out Willig's hive-reducing/eliminating supplements, and with a few, infrequent days, he has stayed hive free for the week. Yay. That leaves me free to go on vacation without preparing 70 baggies, and 70 baggies to start out next fall the first second a hive shows up.
He has been swishing his tail quite a bit lately, but he has also been severely neglected - a long weekend away, a doozy of a cold, and massive hours for me at work - means he is lucky to get lunged every other day.
The two rides I have managed to squeeze in over the past two-three weeks, however, were quite enjoyable. I don't think that was because he was particularly good (he had what I would consider "typical" unridden consistently quirks), but because I was just so glad to be riding instead of working that my expectations were different.
Huh. How about that.
I am now thinking maybe it will be worth it to shift my show budget to a training budget for the spring/summer/fall, and have the (now two!) people who can ride him over fences work him a bit outside and see if that, with my work too, helps him progress like he did with dressage.

No comments: