Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Saturday, December 18, 2010

In a dressage saddle, cones are no big deal

After our adventure last weekend with the cone-"jumping", I worked Willig one day on my own with cone-cavelleti, and then at my dressage lesson, told Mike about the cone excitement.
Mike wanted to see if he could Willig to continue to act up to help build my tool-kit on what to do in those situations, so we went past the cones on their perch on the wall, then past a cone on the ground, then past a cone on its side on the ground, then past two cones, the cones moved, the cones moved further out, we stopped at the cones, we trotted past the cones, we cantered past the cones, Mike moved away from the cones, and then Mike set up a jump and we jumped the cones - the exact same jump that Shannon made in my Saturday lesson.
"Ho-hum," said Willig.
Once, his ears sort of looked intently at a cone. Once.
Mike was disappointed, and I was a tiny bit, although also relieved that the cone horror had ended.
Or so I thought ...
We worked a bit more on bending to the inside, some counter canter (maintaining the bend! not switching to the other bend!), and I think that was pretty much it. Both Shannon and J came in towards the end of the lesson and marveled at well-behaved Willig (and backed me up that Saturday really was wild).

Then, J's ride was on Thursday, and he started it up all over again. She said that he did a 180 abruptly and without warning. Then he got scared of the far end after a horse walked by. Then she set up the cones and he did the same - came around the corner, saw it, and tried to bolt and buck. (Although she is modest, I doubt he gets as much away with it as he does with me.) She said it took most of the ride to get him to go over it "like a gentleman" which is the nicest way I've ever heard anyone describing a horse who is being a shit.

Fortunately for me, I have some extra time from work this month, so I am packing in the lessons. We'll see what next week holds in the dressage arena.

No comments: