Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Schooling Lessons

We went to NWEC to school some cross country fences today, and I had so much fun. I'm also so glad we went because I thought I was completely a cool cucumber until the moment Shannon sent me off trotting by myself to do the first five fences, and then suddenly I got that tight anxious feeling around my ribs. But since Charlie is a freaking rock star, the only fumbling was on my end. My two big take-aways - ride him more assertively (for Charlie, this is faster than I'm used to going, and not timidly approaching every fence in a baby trot), and new one - keep my hands planted on his neck. So in between fences, I'm riding in a two point with my hands planted down, and then as we're about 10 strides out, I sit up into a light seat ... but my hands stay planted on his neck. And my job is to think rhythm (1-2-1-2) and then to steer him over the center of each fence. If I screw up and am riding too defensively, I let go of the reins so I don't grab him in the mouth. And corners and approaches are when I rebalance and sit up. Charlie is a total superman, and can totally take care of the fences all by himself. We will, a few strides from the water, trot into it, but then canter once his foot hits the water. He didn't even flick an ear at the water OR the ditch today, or the one humongo log. He just floats right over them. So I still have some switches to flip from my Willig riding style, but I think I am going to have a really good time this summer, and I am so so so grateful for this opportunity.

No comments: