Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Monday, April 16, 2012

super fun jump lesson on Charlie

I really do feel like a weight has lifted off of me after I ride Charlie. As I accurately but not wisely suspected now maybe a couple years ago, when Shannon first offered to let me ride him and I declined, mine and Willig's whole lives would have been different these last couple years - ok, well, Willig had to go lame for me to ride other people's horses so maybe not - but I have FUN on Charlie. Willig is work. Charlie is enjoyment.
We got to take advantage of the nice spring weather and had another outside jump lesson (in warm sunshine) yesterday. After a few warm up fences, we did a little 6 fence course, roughly 2'7", with an oxer, the lattice fence, and the barrels. Charlie is a total champ.
I'm flailing a bit, but it's more because I spent the last 4 years trying to unlearn most of my basics to adjust to riding Willig, and now I need to switch the Willig skills off and go back to the way I was taught.
Which is:
- Ride in a light two point, with my hands in "jump position" up his neck until I come around a turn or about 10 strides out
- Then sit up a bit (but wait for the jump - legs in front defensive is one thing I think to keep from jumping ahead with those long sproingy frog legs)
- Keep it even - I have to say 1-2-1-2 otherwise we speed up
- Be ready to balance him after the fence, and not to let him rush towards it (because Charlie actually enjoys jumping)
- And for the connection, it's leg, then hand
I mailed my entry for NWEC today, and I am so excited!

No comments: