Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Bascule!

Today's lesson was our final jump lesson before NWEC next weekend. Shannon made the fences just shy of training level height, so that at the show Beginner Novice will look puny. We had a really smooth first round, where I felt like some of what we've been working on over the last month has started to stick - I'm smoother at the two point to light seat and slightly better at keeping my hands pressed into his neck, although Shannon said when I got nervous, I'd start see sawing with my hands. I also felt like I was collecting him up faster and everything was going smoother. That changed when she added the extra few inches, mostly because then Charlie jumped with a bascule (I've felt it a couple of times with Willig - it's the moment of suspension in the air where you're flying perched above the saddle - it's amazing), but it was over almost every fence and so big! I had to just perch above the saddle and hang there in the air, and I wasn't even giving enough of a crest release, so it was so big I had to keep slipping the reins! It was an amazing feeling and really fun to ride, but it took me by surprise. We did just a little course, twice, after the warm up, and Charlie was a total champ. No matter what I screwed up coming into (or after) the fence, he'd take care of me and deal with the fence. So my checklist is: chest open, hands pressed into neck, no see-sawing with hands, legs in front (defensive), two point until the corner before the fence then sit up into light saddle, use my back for half halts not hands, if I have to slip the reins be fast on collecting everything back up (same goes for if something goes a little wrong - recollect quickly), and even rhythm. Other than that, Charlie takes care of the rest. Those fences were so cool to ride. I can't wait to do it again. We also looked at a couple of my lousy braids, and Shannon showed me how she does it (waxy thread and some quick braid spray), so before the next show I'll have to practice some more. Oh, and we talked about the dressage test - I've been having a hard time feeling the line between a big free walk and when he's ready to break into trot. Shannon pointed out that I'm rushing, not doing a big walk, and he needs to lower his head more.

No comments: