Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Thursday, June 07, 2012

Working on 1-3 with Charlie

Today we had one of those lessons where even though it was in the 50s, by the time I got done, my hair was soaking wet in my helmet. i.e., a success. Other than a few little bobbles, BN-A was fine - I made the same mistake I did in the show and hesitated in the trot to walk transition instead of committing, and I could have slightly improved the right trot to canter transition, but other than that it was rock solid and consistent and smooth. So fingers crossed for tomorrow. For 1-3, we worked on improving the individual movements. We started with some respectful transitions. Charlie was blowing me off just a tiny bit, so we did some walk-canter-walk transitions, and he got a smack with the whip if I gave the aid and he ignored it. After a frustrating 5 minutes or so, I realized it was easier if I smacked him just before he did whatever the bad thing was (blew me off, or down transition before I asked for it) and lo and behold everything went much more smoothly from that point forward. I can't feel them coming 100% of the time, but I can do something about it when I do feel them coming. This helped us with lengthening and then with the collection back to regular canter at the end of lengthening. We'd do a lengthening on the long side, a 20 meter circle where I'd collect him back up, and then either a down transition or another lengthening. Once Charlie caught on to what I wanted (and that it varied), he paid attention instead of "guessing" and offering what was supposed to come next. We also worked on the simple serpentine. I RIDE it (ride being the operative word there, instead of just pointing him in the direction I want him to go), with my inside leg forward, a soft seat, and just a touch on the forehand, so that he doesn't try to offer a flying change. Then we worked on the canter-trot-canter transition across the center line, and again, if I actually ride each step, I get a smooth, flowing transition. For the trot lengthening, that's going to be more of a long term project, so for the dressage show at the end of June, we're just going to ride what he's got (probably a 5) and make up for it on the other movements. I tend to kind of fling him forward and rush it, which is worse than just having it be a somewhat "meh" movement. Oh! And for stretchy trot circle, he tends to get a little fast, so I ride him by halting with my inner thighs, kind of like thinking about asking him to walk. We also started with the leg yield-shoulder in-leg yield exercise, which really helped for those first two movements, and on the two 10 meter circles, I need to learn my 10 meters better (I kept blobbing them out all big) and also have about three steps on the center line and clearly change the bend from left to right on those three steps. About half way through the leg yield, just think shoulder in, and that helps me put his hind leg back underneath him and keep his shoulders from leading. It's much harder going to the left than the right - which was the same on Willig, so it must be something about my confirmation. For the long walk, I need to let my hips rotate (like bike pedals going around) so that I don't restrict his good stretchy walk.

No comments: