Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Monday, April 22, 2013

Charlie can move!

Today's lesson with Major Beale was divine.  He didn't hold back, and Charlie (thanks to his wonderful training), totally rose to the challenge.
We started with yesterday's work - proper bend, using his shoulders to steer, and getting his transitions quick and responsive.
Then we jumped right into some leg yields along the wall, a half turn on the haunches, and immediately a leg yield the opposite direction.  While at first we kind of dragged along, by the end, Charlie was pretty much skipping down the side. 
Then he added a transition to canter or trot (depending on whether we were trotting or walking) and some lengthening and collecting on the canter circle.  Doing the leg yield first I think got Charlie's hind legs activated, so he could lift up into the next gait and push up into it.
We also did some counterbending, which helped make Charlie feel more "square" underneath me.
All the work getting him square and his engine going also had the side benefit of me not feeling like I needed to work on my heels.  While we were doing a lot so I couldn't concentrate on my lower leg (so I know I was doing some aids with my heel raised instead of squeezing), when we were riding in between a movement, I noticed my lower leg stayed solid without as much effort from me.
I don't bend him around my left leg enough - when I feel like he is overbent, he is barely even bent to the left, so I need to keep working on that and readjust my feel for what is right.  I have gotten so used to the feeling of wrong (like not sitting up in the saddle for dressage) that it is just going to take some time to readjust my sensors.
Major Beale said that I should ride him like this all the time - instead of plodding along at the walk, he should spring out the stall door ready for action.  It really was quite marvelous to feel and ride, and I was surprised that he could get it out of us with me on Charlie.  Charlie felt more like Shannon had just ridden him.
We also did walking around the corner, turning down the centerline, and then fast zig zag leg yields - left-right-left-right-left-right - and then a turn and transition into trot right away at the end.  I was very slow in my reaction time on these, but they really got Charlie listening.
We also did some lengthening and collecting up at the trot as well, but I am better at collecting the canter than I am the trot.
Charlie gave a few good grunts from the effort, which was pretty funny.
We also did some shoulder in and a little bit of shoulder out.
I tend to bend Charlie to the right when we're on the diagonal - he should be straight because we're going in a straight line.
This was an amazing ride - it has helped me feel that I can get there on my own and how good it feels to be there, so why it's worth the effort.  I am amazed that he got so much out of us today!  I wish I had it on video so I could watch it just before each show to try to get there again.

No comments: