Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Sunday, June 09, 2013

Conditioning exercises

I talked with John about conditioning exercises at our lesson this week, and he recommended 3 5-minute trot sets (with a 2 minute break in between each) and 4 3-minute canters.  We started today with 2 5-minute trots and 2 3-minute canters.  For each, I started in a two-point for the first minute, then posted the trot, then went back to a two-point.  Charlie and I were both pooped by the final minute of the last canter.
John also recommended building up to an 8 minute wall sit, and emphasized that it's especially important once your quads start burning to stay in the sit because that's when your hip flexors start to work.  I didn't have my watch on, but I'm pretty sure I didn't even make it a minute for the first one.
Our lesson was another great one.  We did the same two lines as last week, a 4 stride and then an angled 4 stride, and of course, Charlie was an angel.  Then we worked on coming around a corner to an oxer, jumping it to the left of mid-way to make a right turn around another fence to a hard right to a wall.  It took me many tries to get this right, but it was a great exercise because the Aspen show jumping courses tend to have a lot of turns around fences.
John said at the show to focus on getting Charlie's canter big enough in the warm up, and the jumping would follow, and that now that I know I can bring Charlie back, I can be more confident about riding him forward.  It's amazing when we get a jump right how incredible it is, but I'd wager we're hitting them perfect at maybe only 25% right now.
Charlie is such a trooper.
Also, there are actually 5 things to think about when jumping, not 3, but they are beyond my skill set right now to even list them all.
The big things to think about are riding in a big enough canter, sitting up and rebalancing around the corner, then getting out of Charlie's way the last three strides - I don't do anything but make things worse if I start messing around the final stride.  John said to think about how Charlie feels going cross country (which he loves) and then try to get that feeling for show jumping.
I love the lessons with John.  They're amazing.

No comments: