Charlie with the long sought after cooler

Charlie with the long sought after cooler
Spring NWEC 2013 Novice

Friday, July 17, 2015

Stitches out; dressage lesson

I took Charlie's stitches out today in his shoulder.  It was a few days early, but it looks good.  I accidentally knocked off the scab on the left shoulder, so it isn't looking as great.
I had a dressage lesson with John.  He gave me three jump exercises for homework while he is in Montana and then the next week, my Tuesday and Friday both have conflicts.
We worked on getting "more" of everything - more round, more connection, and more impulsion.  He said while he is gone, the most important thing I work on is getting that feeling of being on a 20 meter circle and then asking for more of everything.  He said if Charlie is stiff and won't bend at all, then I lift the inside hand (the direction he's not bending) until he gives, then put my hand back down.
We worked on 10 meter circles, leg yielding, and changing from canter to trot through the diagonal.  John said he was trying to get Charlie to use that inside leg.  Every few moves, we would get it right and it would all click, but I'm not at that point where it's reliable yet.
John also said he thought it progress from last year that I could see what was being tested on the courses at Whidbey (at least, I thought I could see it), and that now that I can see it, he can help me get faster at responding.  But I couldn't get faster until I could see what the test was.
The ride felt really good; it feels to me like we are much better connected and I have many more tools in my toolbox than last year.
I am jealous that we're not going to Rebecca, but only one more qualifying ride and we can go next year!

No comments: